This online application is for clinical and surgical observation at Ortho Illinois. This observation allows those interested in pursuing medical degrees to learn about the orthopedic profession.
The following steps are required in order to be considered for observation:
- Complete Observation Application.
- Submit $20.00 non-refundable application fee. Cash or check must be received before your application will be considered (we cannot process credit/debit payments at this time).
- Review, sign and submit Ortho Illinois’ Professional Appearance Standards. (download)
- Submit letter of recommendation from a current professor.
- Submit photocopy of current drivers license or state ID.
- Submit proof of the following medical records:
- Negative TB test
- Tdap within the past 10 years
- Three doses of Hep B vaccine, or titer
- Two doses of MMR vaccine, or titer
- Two doses of Varicella vaccinem or titer, or proof of having had the chicken pox
- Flu vaccination (for observations taking place October through March)
Ortho Illinois has affiliations with over 30 schools such as the University of Illinois College of Medicine and the Rush University Medical Center Residency Program. These affiliated programs have priority scheduling. Application fee will be waived for students from these affiliated programs.
- Students and guests requesting observation must be 18 years or older.
- Each application is good for up to 40 hours of observation within one year of approval.
- Upon approval, additional documents (waivers, agreements, etc) will be sent to you for signature.
- All required documents must be submitted at least 14 days prior to observation.
- Observation schedules are pending physician availability and are subject to last-minute changes.
- Requests received outside of this online process will NOT be considered.