Guidelines for choosing an orthopedic surgeon
Learn how to choose the Best Orthopedic Surgeon for your employee’s work comp injury. Why does it matter who you choose? Because you want the best outcomes and quickest recovery so that your workers can return to work well equipped to perform their job functions.
With that in mind, here’s a quick list of things to consider when researching a physician.
- Post op protocols: Does the surgeon provide complete post op protocols and educational information? It is very important to follow specific instructions vital to recovery and returning to work following surgery.
- Experience: How long has the surgeon been performing this procedure? How many has he performed? How many does he perform a year? Finding the right surgeon with a history of successful surgeries for the procedure being performed is essential to achieving and experiencing a positive outcome.
- Board Certification: Is the surgeon board certified in this sub-specialty or area? Find out which association he is board certified by. Confirming your surgeon has had special training in the procedure is very important and being Board Certified means he is.
- Special needs or complications: Is this surgeon experienced in handling special needs or complications? Consider as well the infection rate of a surgeon as higher infection rates lead to longer recovery times. When recovery is delayed, it results in additional time away from work which is costly to the employer. It may also cause discomfort to the patient.
- Referrals: The recommendation for orthopedic surgery is a major step toward returning to work and reclaiming an active lifestyle. Consult your family doctor, family, friends, and others. Ask who performed their surgeries.
- Check online: Check with the National Medical Association and verify the surgeon’s credentials. The The American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, the American Medical Association and the state disciplinary board are good sources for information on physicians in your area.
OrthoIllinois surgeons are board-certified, fellowship-trained and highly skilled sub-specialists who have become the number one choice for orthopedic surgery. Employers, patients, and the community trust our specialists and we value their loyalty.